Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Song of the Day-Within You, Without You

When I was a kid, riding my bike up and down the streets of my west side Detroit neighborhood,  I had a cassette player and a cassette of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.. I listened to it incessantly. I would fast forward past the first song on Side Two which was George Harrisons's "Within You, Without You" to get to the more "accessible" material on that album. 44 years on, Harrison's Indian epic, written after George Martin told him that his first submission was of insufficient strength to be included on what was shaping up to be a landmark album("Only A Northern Song"), has become one of my favorite tracks on the album.

The version here is the Beatle's Rock Band Remix which is not readily available, but easy to find if you google it and link the title and Rock Band Remix. These tracks were "remixed" to allow the individual elements of the Beatle's songs to be accessed in the Beatle's Rock Band game. Diligent and imaginative listeners, using the game discs as raw material, have produced versions of these tracks isolating individual Beatle vocals and instruments. I have included a sample of these isolated tracks. The full tracks included unreleased elements such as studio chatter and song "count-ins." This is a version of the Sgt. Pepper's title track with the drums isolated and brought way up to the front of the mix.


This is for George, wherever his spirit vibrates, on the day after the 10 year anniversary of his passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment