Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nick Lowe-The Old Magic

Nick Lowe, known mostly in the US for his top 40 mid 70s "Cruel To Be Kind" has just released the latest in a series of mid-to-late in life albums that represented a shift in tone from the upbeat sound that had it's roots in pub rock. Starting with the "Dig My Mood" album, Nick abandoned the style that earned him the nickname "Basher" and recorded tunes with a more sophisticated, subtler feel. These albums remind me a little of the series of albums Frank Sinatra recorded in the 60s, starting with "September of My Years." Much like Sinatra, Nick's songs look back, bemusedly, at a life that has left him washed up on the shores of loneliness, wondering how he got there. I have included two key tunes from the album here, "Stoplight Roses" the single,  and "I Read A Lot" which is possibly my favorite song on the album. If anything is missing from this release, it is probably the lack of the old Nick sense of humor, which pops up even in a tune with subject matter as grim as "I Trained Her To Love Me" from his previous release, "At My Age." (included below). I highly recommend this release. Nick is opening for Wilco at the Fillmore in December and that should be a great double bill!
A couple of Nicktunes from the old "Basher!"

No comments:

Post a Comment