Sunday, November 13, 2011

I Will Follow You Into The Dark

I missed this one when it came out in 2006. Didn't chart very high. Number 66 on the Billboard Hot 100. A song like this wouldn't get much mainstream radio airplay, not being a hip hop tune or a "Young Country" song with novelty lyrics. Mid 20s on the Billboard Modern Rock tracks chart. I know it made it into a couple of tv episodes, Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy, which I did not see either.

I have Sirius/XM in my home and in my car. I listen a lot to a station called the Loft. The Loft is programmed by a guy named Mike Marrone and you should all run to the Facebook, friend him and say you heard about his show from me. It is a throwback to the free form radio that arose in the 60s on outlets such as Detroit's WABX. Or more recently, the kind of music that Martin Bandyke used to play on WDET everyday before their management shot themselves in both feet with format changes. They can play anything on the Loft. Mike himself has a show on the Loft in the mornings. I heard, (or maybe "re-heard") this song for the first time on Mike's show. Mike and the other fine Loft dj's have become one of my prime sources for great new albums and great new music. Sometimes, like with this fine track, it is new to me. After I heard it on Mike's show, I played it obsessively for days.

Until further notice, subject to change without advance notice, this is the song I would like played at my wake. It is a rumination on the subject of death, especially when you are in a relationship with someone special, a "soulmate" to use a cliched term. Give it a listen! From the album "Plans" this is Death Cab For Cutie.

No comments:

Post a Comment