Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Song of the Day-I Honestly Love You

I'm going to go here with the Peter Allen version of this tune made most famous by Olivia Newton John. Peter Allen was an Australian entertainer, songwriter, cabaret and concert performer as well as a "gay icon." In fact, he achieved the ultimate status a gay icon can achieve when he married Liza Minneli (cf David Gest). Peter Allen's stage persona was over the top and campy, the most outrageous this side of Bette Midler. He was most well known for his frenetic "I Go To Rio" (you know it..... "When my baby smiles at me I go to Rio...De Janiero"). The thing was, when Peter played it "straight" so to speak, he was just as likely to craft a heartbreaking ballad. His albums were full of 'em. Most of these tunes were better know as hits for other, ala Ms. Newton-John. Another was "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love" which Melissa Manchester covered and had a hit with.


But Peter sang them best. When he sang these tunes he cut out the bullshit and hit the emotional bullseye!


 The best version of this tune that I could find on the Youtubes is the one he did for the Australian version of "This Is Your Life" and it is a snippet only. However, if you surf over to "Chadwick's Listening Room" on the Spotify you can hear the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment