Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bruce!

Picked up tickets on Saturday for my son's 14th birthday for Springsteen at the Palace. Main Floor General Admission. Like most of my ideas, it could turn out to be the best idea I have ever had or the worst.  I will report back after the show. We will be accompanied by Super Accountant Dave Guest, who will be seeing his 20th Springsteen show and is a veteran of these main floor general admission deals. Dave will be guide and guru and placeholder when we use the bathroom.  Admittedly I did many back in the day but I have become quite the softy. I have come to enjoy the luxury of sitting in a good seat off to the side and having a great view to the energy and fun of dancing for two hours in front of a Marshall stack. I think it will be cool for Luke to get to have this experience. I am gonna load up his Ipod mix with a bunch of Bruce so he can prepare for the show. Here's a little taste of a live "Thunder Road" from 1976.


This will be my 4th Springsteen Show which includes the Born In The USA tour the week I took the Michigan Bar Exam back in 1984. That was at Joe Louis I believe. Pretty incredible show. Saw a mid 90's show at the Palace. Took my wife who is not that much into Bruce and her attitude kind of showed. So it dampened my enthusiasm for the show too. (Love you honey, but I'm not doing THAT again!). Maybe the most incredible show was the Concert to Defeat George Bush (spoiler alert-George Bush was re-elected) back in 2004 at Cobo. Bought tickets the day the show was announced. My seats were so close and so good AND off to the side and comfy that we could not believe it. We sat two rows in front of then Attorney General Kelly and then Governor Granholm so you know they were comped with decent ducats. The bill included Springsteen, REM, John Fogerty and Bright Eyes. The then-controversial Dixie Chick showed up to sing along on the encore which was Patti Smith's "People Got The Power." Great bill! Great energy! Great show! Here's a sample from a show later on that tour!


No comments:

Post a Comment