Monday, January 9, 2012

Song of the Day-For You Blue

George Harrison, famously, scored his first A-side with the "Something" 45 fronting "Come Together." But he is back to his customary B-side status as the flip of "The Long and Winding Road" which was the last "new" 45 released (or scheduled for release) while the Beatles were still an entity. As such, it was a million seller and a number one hit!

One can debate whether the Beatles were better off waxing Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" or "Not Guilty" or any of the other demos sitting in the can. I don't know if they would have fit better on the misbegotten "Let It Be" album then this seeming trifle. Certainly, they might have been better choices than "I Me Mine" or the execrable "Dig It."

Anyway, I have always enjoyed this snappy little tune that shows the lighter side of the Beatles. That's John Lennon playing a lap steel guitar with a shotgun shell for a slide. George's spoken asides "Go Johnny Go" and the like are a throwback to the early Beatles rockabilly sides. ("Rock on George one time for me!).

I did see George play this in a lackluster version at his 1974 show at the Olympia, I believe the evening show of December 4, 1974. I have never listened or downloaded the bootleg of this show(not that I would DO such a thing) but I recall him croaking his way through it. Bummer! Here's to you George, where ever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment