Thursday, December 8, 2011

Song of the Day-Joe Henry "God Only Knows" (Not the Beach Boy's Song)

If you have ever played on the "You Tubes" you might find it hard to believe but every song ever recorded is not available. It might seem that way, but it relies on what people upload and what copyright holders will allow. Every Beatles song ever in multiple versions is available but by contrast large amounts of Bob Dylan, possibly the most bootlegged artist ever, are simply unavailable. Whoever is managing Dylan now has people in place who are successful in keeping most of his catalog off You Tube. Good or bad, I don't know. It just is I guess. 

Having one of those "can't sleep" nights when I woke up, pretty much wide awake at 3am, my body resisting all efforts to stop thinking of all that needs to be done in the upcoming day, and the days before Christmas. A song I think about often at times like these is Joe Henry's "I Flew Over Our House Last Night" a song by the great Country Storyteller Tom T. Hall. Joe is a Michigan born singer-songwriter, U-M grad, unfortunately best known for marrying Madonna's sister. Which landed him on Madonna's record label. Which has tended to obscure a great talent who has released about ten albums by my reckoning. 

You tube didn't have the song. They didn't have  Tom T. Hall's original either. The older the artist, with the exception of giants like Elvis and the Beatles, the less of a presence you will have on You Tube. This is the version by Charlie Sizemore who is classified as Bluegrass but sounds straight country. And I like this tune. Good version. Like Joe's better but Charlie handles it well. I will post Joe's on my Spotifiy playlist if you want to hear it. 
I have posted Joe Henry's "God Only Knows" which is not the Brian Wilson-Tony Asher classic from Pet Sounds but a powerful recording that was the final track on Joe's 2007 "Civilians" recording. Gotta be up in an hour. Gonna try and get more sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment