Monday, February 27, 2012

Song of the Day-My Baby Left Me


As a young boy, Elvis was a fan of the country bluesman Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup. "Big Boy's" extremely primitive blues-style is scarcely remembered today, but for the fact that a couple of his originals, "That's Alright Mama" and "My Baby Left Me" were recorded by Elvis Presley at Sun Studio and RCA Studios in the mid-50's at the time of the "Big Bang" explosion that was mid 50's Elvis. We start off with Elvis take on "My Baby Left Me" which sounds like a Sun Sessions cut, but was in fact recorded at RCA as the B-Side of "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You." Scotty Moore amd Bill Black on guitar and standup bass. Elvis on Guitar. DJ Fontana on drums (most Sun cuts did not feature drums!). Recorded January 30-31, 1956.


This is Arthur's take on the song. 

Finally, we hear Elvis doing in in Vegas in 74. Not a song he did very much in his live shows at the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment